Thursday, October 31, 2013

Shooting down dead the arithmetic bird...


DAY 4...

No one told me there would be sums. Not a single mention that arithmetic involved. And they especially didn't say that the sums would come at the end of another long hard day, just at the time when it looked like we were winning. Nobody said a single word about the chart and the tiny little boxes and all the lines connecting the numbers...and the gut-wrenching, head spinning disbelief that accompanied the feeling of being almost there and then being asked to do more and knowing...just knowing that the little bit more might be just the thing that would break you.
It nearly did...
I was OK with the big words and convoluted sentences because language is my thing...but introduce numbers and I'm stuffed...powerless...vulnerable...uncomfortable and just plain cranky and sweary around the numbers!

But now I have a question that is emerging...not properly formed but...

Isn't there an incongruence about the...cleverness...of it all?

I'm not talking about dumbing it down...but I'm thinking more New International Version than King James BIble...

So, I'm going to ponder these things in my heart for a bit and see what comes up for me...