Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Day 3 of PASSING...in which I remember why I do the work I do...

Early start today and running late...I complained about it but still took the time to buy a coffee en route.

Someone was wittering on today...I tried to change the subject and when that didn't work I just removed myself from the source of the witter...

Hot today...35 degrees...I complained and went indoors...

Really nice dinner today...I enjoyed it and asked the dinner lady for more...

There was something really troubling me today...I talked about it to some colleagues who reassured me  without me feeling as if I had annoyed them or was patronised by them...I was able to let it go and relax for the remainder of the evening...

I met some people today...and none of the choices I made for my day were open to them...

They have to stick to the schedule. They have to not only tolerate but be nice to the person who is annoying them. They have to stay where they are until someone comes to move them...

They wait constantly for the smallest of things...they eat what they are given...they are talked at...they are not allowed to be angry or fed up or worried or sad...they are constantly at the whim of other people's moods and judgements and moral courage...

They are among the most vulnerable people in our communities and they get some of the worst deals around...

It isn't right y'know...

It. Just. Is. Not. Right.



“August: You know some things don't matter that much...like the colour of a      house...But lifting a person's heart--now that matters. The whole problem with people--"

Lily: They don't know what matters and what doesn't...

August: They know what matters, but they don't choose it...The hardest thing on earth is to choose what matters.”